HC gives Tiwari two days to give consent for DNA test
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday asked veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari to give his consent in two days regarding a DNA test to decide the paternity suit of Rohit Shekhar.
The High Court order was passed in response to a paternity suit filed by Rohit Shekhar, who claims to be the biological son of the Congress leader.
Nearly a fortnight after the Delhi High Court asked Tiwari to give his blood sample for DNA test to decide the paternity suit, Shekhar had moved the court last week for forcibly taking his blood sample for the test.
In an application to single-judge bench of justice Reva Khetrapal, Shekhar had sought a direction to former Andhra Pradesh governor Tiwari to comply with high court`s December 23, 2010 and April 27, 2012 orders.
Alternatively, Shekhar pleaded to the court to appoint a commissioner to take Tiwari`s blood samples with assistance from police force, as mandated by the court`s April 27 order.
"Direct the non-applicant 1 (Tiwari) to furnish blood samples at the earliest convenience of this court. In the event that Tiwari fails to appear on the date fixed by the court, appoint a Commissioner to draw blood samples of Tiwari by force or otherwise," Shekhar said in his application.
He also sought the court to direct the police to provide assistance to the Commissioner, to be appointed by the court.
On April 27, a bench of Acting Chief Justice AK Sikri and Rajiv Sahai Endlaw had said police force can be used to compel Tiwari to give blood sample for the DNA test in case he refuses to undergo the test on the paternity suit.
The bench had passed the orders while hearing Shekhar`s plea challenging the single judge`s September 23 last year order which had stated that Tiwari cannot be compelled but an adverse inference can be draw from his repeated refusal to give blood samples.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections