HC grants 6 weeks to K’taka police to probe love jihad
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday
granted another six weeks time to the state police to submit
its final report on the "love jihad" movement allegedly
involving luring of girls from other communities by Muslim
youths and converting them to Islam.
A special cell formed to probe the so called "love jihad"
movement, headed by DIG Central Investigation Department (CID)
Malini Krishnamurthy, was granted time by a Division Bench
following a plea by the state government.
The Bench, comprising Justices K Sreedhara Rao and Ravi B
Mallimath, also took note of the Kerala High Court judgement
of December 9 last on love jihad which was placed on record
The judgement observed that there were indications of
"forceful" religious conversions under the guise of "love" in
Kerala and suggested the government consider enacting a
law to prohibit such "deceptive acts".
On November 13, when the case came up for hearing, the
police informed the court in their interim report that there
seemed to be no prima facie evidence of love jihad in a case
involving marriage of a Hindu girl with a Muslim boy.
Siljaraj of Chamarajnagar district in Karnataka had
married Asghar of Kerala`s Kannur district and police had
stated that she had done it out of her own volition.
Karnataka CID on November 13 had sought two months time
from the Court, stating that there was need to investigate
reports of `Love Jihad` in parts of coastal Karnataka and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey