HC grants interim relief to Swamy against arrest
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian
Swamy was Friday granted interim protection till January 30 by the Delhi High Court against his possible arrest for writing an allegedly "inflammatory" article.
Justice M L Mehta granted interim protection to Swamy on
an undertaking by him that he would not write such articles in
the future and issued notice to the Delhi Police for its
response on Swamy`s anticipatory bail plea.
While hearing Swamy`s plea, Justice Mehta observed, "We
are a secular country and we should respect the system which
The court said, "It is not a European country like
Britain. We have a diversity and we should be proud of it.
"If you (Swamy) give an undertaking that you will not write anything based on the book, I`ll grant you the relief," the judge said.
The court`s observation came after Swamy`s counsel,
senior advocate K T S Tulsi, argued that as he (Swamy) has
exposed 2G scam against the government, this case has been
lodged to harass him.
The counsel also said that Swamy had written the article
based on a book, which he had written six years ago, but no
untoward incident had happened after that and suddenly the
police registered a case against him soon after he exposed the
Swamy had moved the high court yesterday seeking
anticipatory bail in the case filed against him in October
last year by the Crime Branch of Delhi Police for writing an
article in a newspaper in July last year which, it said,
tended to spread communal enmity.
Swamy, however, has denied all charges levelled by Delhi
Police in the FIR. The matter will now come up on January 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city