HC grants time to petitioner to bring evidence in Chatwal case
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Thursday asked
a petitioner, challenging the decision to confer Padma Bhushan
on NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal, to show where has the
selection committee failed to meet the guidelines in his case.
A division bench comprising acting Chief Justice Madan B
Lokur and Justice Mukta Gupta granted time till April 5 and
asked petitioner S K Shah to furnish documents pertaining to
the alleged failure of the selection committee while
considering Chatwal`s name for the prestigious award.
Appearing for the Government, Additional Solicitor
General P P Malhotra submitted that following a Supreme Court
ruling, a high-level committee is constituted to consider
every aspect of all applicants before finalising their names.
The bench then asked the petitioner to prove where the
committee had failed to follow the stipulated norms.
"You cannot level wild allegations. There is a report of
the committee which has already considered all the
aspects...," the bench said.
Shah, appearing in person, alleged before the court that
Chatwal was involved in various economic offences.
Earlier, the petitioner had sought a direction to the
Centre to rescind the decision to confer the award on Chatwal
on various grounds, including his alleged involvement in
Besides Chatwal, the Centre and CBI have also been made
respondents in the Public Interest Litigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical