HC grills Kalmadi, his attendance in LS sought
New Delhi: CWG case accused Suresh
Kalmadi was today grilled by Delhi High Court over his plea
that he be allowed to attend the Monsoon session of Parliament
and was asked to produce his attendance record in Lok Sabha
for the last five years.
In a rebuke to Kalmadi, Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also
asked the jailed Congress MP what was the need for him to
attend Parliament unless there is voting on a bill or a motion
that could lead to the fall of the government. The Monsoon
session commences on August one.
"There is nothing important like voting is happening in
Parliament or government is going to fall for which your
presence is required in the Lok Sabha," the judge said on the
plea by the sacked CWG Organising Committee Chief.
Justice Endlaw made these remarks while posing a
serious of questions to senior counsel Ashok Desai, who
appeared for Kalmadi, as to why his plea to attend the coming
session of the Parliament should be allowed.
The judge sought Kalmadi`s attendance record in
Parliament for the last five years while issuing notice to the
CBI and asking it to file its reply on his plea.
The court said in case Kalmadi fails to obtain records
of the past five years, he can file his attendance record in
previous sessions of the present Lok Sabha.
"Show me the past attendance record in Parliament
sessions. What contribution he had during the sessions? What
are the queries he had asked and what participation he wants
now for which he has approached this court," Justice Endlaw
said, while asking Kalmadi to file a detailed affidavit on it
"Everyday proceedings are being telecast and he can
send questions to the Lok Sabha Speaker," the court suggested
At another stage, the judge asked, "Why does he
(Kalmadi) want to attend the session? Why should he be treated
differently from other public servants, who are under arrest?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened