HC grills Kalmadi, his attendance in LS sought
New Delhi: CWG case accused Suresh
Kalmadi was today grilled by Delhi High Court over his plea
that he be allowed to attend the Monsoon session of Parliament
and was asked to produce his attendance record in Lok Sabha
for the last five years.
In a rebuke to Kalmadi, Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also
asked the jailed Congress MP what was the need for him to
attend Parliament unless there is voting on a bill or a motion
that could lead to the fall of the government. The Monsoon
session commences on August one.
"There is nothing important like voting is happening in
Parliament or government is going to fall for which your
presence is required in the Lok Sabha," the judge said on the
plea by the sacked CWG Organising Committee Chief.
Justice Endlaw made these remarks while posing a
serious of questions to senior counsel Ashok Desai, who
appeared for Kalmadi, as to why his plea to attend the coming
session of the Parliament should be allowed.
The judge sought Kalmadi`s attendance record in
Parliament for the last five years while issuing notice to the
CBI and asking it to file its reply on his plea.
The court said in case Kalmadi fails to obtain records
of the past five years, he can file his attendance record in
previous sessions of the present Lok Sabha.
"Show me the past attendance record in Parliament
sessions. What contribution he had during the sessions? What
are the queries he had asked and what participation he wants
now for which he has approached this court," Justice Endlaw
said, while asking Kalmadi to file a detailed affidavit on it
"Everyday proceedings are being telecast and he can
send questions to the Lok Sabha Speaker," the court suggested
At another stage, the judge asked, "Why does he
(Kalmadi) want to attend the session? Why should he be treated
differently from other public servants, who are under arrest?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow