HC hands over Muthoot murder case to CBI
Kochi: The Kerala High court Thursday directed
the state police to hand over to CBI investigation in the
murder of Muthoot business group scion Paul Muthoot George.
A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice S R Bannurmath
and Justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan also directed the CBI
to complete the investigations in six months time.
The court`s direction came on a petition filed by Muthoot
business group Chairman M G George, seeking a CBI probe into
his son Paul`s murder in August last year.
The court directed the police to hand over all relevant
documents regarding the case to CBI.
During the hearing, police had told the court that
investigations were carried out meticulously based on "true
facts" but the bench criticised the police probe on several
The state government had also informed the court that it
was not "afraid" of a CBI probe, contending that a fair
investigation has been conducted by the state police.
Pressing for the CBI probe, the Muthoot family had
submitted in the court that police had not properly recorded
their statements and had `omitted relevant parts from their
The Bench also criticised IGP Vinson M Paul, who headed
the SIT, for conducting a press meet with regard to the
investigation in the case.
The Kerala government had formed a Special Investigation
Team (SIT) to probe the murder of Paul Muthoot, a young
businessman of the multi-crore Muthoot group with diverse
business interests including finance and hospitality sectors.
The SIT had filed chargesheet in Ramankiri court in
Alapuzha listing 25 accused in the case. The Magistrate had
returned the chargesheet saying it was incomplete. However,
the High Court on an appeal by the state government had stayed
Paul`s father had filed the petition expressing
dissatisfaction at the police investigation and seeking CBI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news