HC issues notice to ND Tiwari on paternity suit
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday issued notice to veteran politician and former Andhra Pradesh
Governor ND Tiwari on a paternity suit filed by a youth
claiming to be his biological son.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice A P Shah asked Tiwari
to give his response by February 9 on the suit filed by Rohit
Shekhar, 30, seeking its direction to declare Tiwari is his
Shekhar filed an appeal before a Division Bench
challenging a single-bench order which had dismissed his
petition on the ground that it was not maintainable.
Justice S N Dhingra had on November 3 last said the
suit filed by Shekhar is not maintainable and allowed the plea
of 84-year-old Tiwari who had sought dismissal of the
The Court had said it has no territorial jurisdiction
to hear the case as Tiwari, then Andhra Pradesh Governor, was
in Hyderabad and a suit against him could be filed only in
The appeal comes within days of Tiwari resigning
as Governor in the wake of a sex scandal with a news channel
purportedly showing him in a compromising position with three
women. Tiwari has dismissed the allegation as "baseless".
A law graduate, Shekhar, 30, filed the suit claiming
he was born out of an intimate relationship between his mother
Ujjwala Sharma and Tiwari, a charge denied by the latter.
Tiwari was earlier directed by the court in November
2008 to file his reply in which he had refuted all the
allegations and submitted that the suit was filed to malign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire