HC issues notice to ND Tiwari on paternity suit
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday issued notice to veteran politician and former Andhra Pradesh
Governor ND Tiwari on a paternity suit filed by a youth
claiming to be his biological son.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice A P Shah asked Tiwari
to give his response by February 9 on the suit filed by Rohit
Shekhar, 30, seeking its direction to declare Tiwari is his
Shekhar filed an appeal before a Division Bench
challenging a single-bench order which had dismissed his
petition on the ground that it was not maintainable.
Justice S N Dhingra had on November 3 last said the
suit filed by Shekhar is not maintainable and allowed the plea
of 84-year-old Tiwari who had sought dismissal of the
The Court had said it has no territorial jurisdiction
to hear the case as Tiwari, then Andhra Pradesh Governor, was
in Hyderabad and a suit against him could be filed only in
The appeal comes within days of Tiwari resigning
as Governor in the wake of a sex scandal with a news channel
purportedly showing him in a compromising position with three
women. Tiwari has dismissed the allegation as "baseless".
A law graduate, Shekhar, 30, filed the suit claiming
he was born out of an intimate relationship between his mother
Ujjwala Sharma and Tiwari, a charge denied by the latter.
Tiwari was earlier directed by the court in November
2008 to file his reply in which he had refuted all the
allegations and submitted that the suit was filed to malign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert