HC no to sex change, boy threatens suicide
Mumbai: 21-year-old Guwahati student Bidhan Barua, who feels he is a woman trapped in man`s body, on Wednesday threatened to commit suicide after the Bombay High Court refused to hear his petition urging for a direction to his parents to allow him undergo a sex change operation.
The matter was mentioned by Barua`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi before Justices S F Vajifdar and A R Joshi who said "we are not going to hear it today". The judges then adjourned the petition to May 7.
Barua told reporters he had written letters to Chief Justice of India, Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and National Human Rights Commission urging them to intervene by this evening and grant him a favourable order so that he could undergo the sex change surgery or else he will commit suicide.
Bidhan Barua, who likes to call himself Swati, alleged that his parents had thwarted the sex reassignment surgery which was to be performed at Saifee hospital here on April 17. He claimed his parents threatened doctors who had refused to perform the operation unless the High Court gives a go ahead.
Barua had contended in his application that he is female trapped in a male body and wants to marry a flight lieutenant in the Indian Air Force.
In the letters to the Chief Justice of India and other authorities, Barua wrote, "I was due to undergo sex change surgery for which I left my job but my parents have blocked my bank account. I have no money to pay for the operation fees."
"For the last two weeks, I am running from door to door seeking injustice but the court does not have time to hear me. I do not have any money for my food, lodging. So I am finally requesting the court to pass an immediate order against my family or grant me an order for an authorised suicide".
"I will kill myself if I do not get an order for my surgery by this evening. For my suicide, the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court will be responsible", wrote Barua and signed it under his name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant