Mumbai: Making it clear that it could not
further wait for Ajmal Kasab to file an appeal against the
trial court`s order sentencing him to death for his role in
the 26/11 terror attack, the Bombay High Court Monday said it
would proceed with confirmation of death sentence from October
11 or 18.
Government lawyer Ujjwal Nikam said the Pakistani
terrorist had a threat perception and bringing him to court
would be a great risk, to which the court suggested that Kasab
could appear through the medium of video conference.
In a related development, an activist of right-wing
organisation, Azad Hind Sena, made an allegation in the High
Court saying that Ujjwal Nikam was a member of Kasab`s gang
and that the 26/11 attacks were not at the behest of Pakistan
but because of him (activist).
The court, however, refused to entertain him saying he
had not filed intervention application and asked police to
remove him from the court after Nikam informed that another
bench had earlier banned him from filing vexatious petitions.
A bench headed by Justice Ranjana Desai told Kasab`s
lawyer Farhana Shah that the 60-day period provided in law for
filing an appeal had already lapsed.
The judges made it clear that they would go ahead with
the confirmation of death sentence imposed on him by the lower
court on a day-to-day basis from October 11 or October 18. In
the meantime, Kasab can file an appeal.