HC notice to Centre on Sadhvi Pragya aide’s plea
New Delhi: Accepting a plea of Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh`s associate Ananth Brahmachari about being "harassed" by investigators, the Delhi High Court on Monday issued a notice to the Centre, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and Delhi Police Commissioner BK Gupta.
The court has asked the three parties to appear before it April 6 with their replies.
Ananth Brahmachari, a close associate of Sadhvi Pragya Singh, attempted suicide earlier this month. He was found unconscious at a flat in Jangpura on January 5 by his family. He was rushed to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where he was treated for poisoning.
He approached the Delhi High Court last week through his lawyer Jitesh Vikram Srivastava and blamed the NIA for harassing him and violating his fundamental rights.
Hearing the case, Justice SN Dhingra also directed the NIA to give a travel allowance to Brahmachari for all his case related travelling expenses.
"The NIA is not following the rules and regulations framed by the Supreme Court for the purpose of interrogation," Brahmachari alleged in his petition.
According to Srivastava, Brahamchari went to the NIA for interrogation along with his two lawyers but the legal aides were not allowed to go inside where the questioning was going on.
The petition is likely to be heard soon.
Pragya Singh is said to be the brain behind the September 29, 2008, blast at a Malegaon mosque in Maharashtra that killed eight people. The Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) of Mumbai Police has accused her of forming a group to avenge the earlier Mumbai train bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- India's tour of West Indies: Hosts pick uncapped fast bowler Alzarri Joseph for second Test
- SC to hear plea of Army doctors for enhancement of retirement age
- Fun times! Former Aussie speedster Brett Lee on the sets of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- AAP woman worker's suicide:BJP demands FIR against AAP leaders
- No concrete evidence about missing AN-32 plane: Parrikar