HC notice to Railway on sanction of RPF posts
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today issued a
notice to Railway Board, New Delhi, asking it what decision it
has taken on a proposal sent by the Central Railway, seeking
sanction of over 2,600 additional posts for the Railway
Protection Force (RPF).
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice
Ranjana Desai was hearing a suo-moto (on their own) PIL, based
on a newspaper report which alleged that the Government
Railway Police (GRP) had refused to register the complaint of
a 25-year-old woman, who was molested in a local train in the
wee hours of June 19.
An affidavit filed by Anil Sharma, Inspector General and
Security Commissioner of RPF, stated that a proposal for
creation of 2,638 posts was forwarded to the Railway Board in
September 2010 is still pending. The board had sanctioned only
"The proposal for 2,638 posts includes 1,632 posts for
Mumbai division which would look after security of lady
commuters in trains. At present 1,185 posts are lying vacant
in RPF for which recruitment is on," the affidavit said.
The bench, while issuing notice to the railway board, has
sought its reply on the pending proposal by September 16.
The court has also directed both RPF and GRP to advertise
their helpline numbers not only in compartments but also in
newspapers and channels.
According to the affidavit filed by deputy secretary S R
Chavan of Home department, 232 policemen are deployed in the
ladies compartment in the night for security and an additional
100 officials are required to be recruited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly