HC orders framing of charges against former Union minister
New Delhi: Setting aside a trial court order discharging former Union minister P K Thungan in a 14-year-old disproportionate assets case, the Delhi High Court has ordered framing of charges against him and "expeditiously" proceed with the case.
Justice Sunil Gaur directed the accused to appear before the trial court on February 14 for framing of charges saying "certainly prima facie case is made out to call upon respondent-accused (Thungan) to face the trial in this case".
"Records of this case be transmitted to trial court forthwith and the parties through their counsel are directed to appear before the trial court on February 14...," the court said.
It also directed the trial court to "expeditiously" proceed with the case by giving shortest possible dates.
The high court passed the judgement while allowing the plea of the CBI which had challenged the Congress leader`s discharge by the trial court in the 1998 case.
According to the CBI charge sheet in the case, the former minister of state for urban development (from January 1993 to September 1995) had acquired disproportionate assets worth over Rs one crore.
On January 24, 2005 the trial court had discharged Thungan saying he was not found in possession of assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
"Rather prosecution`s own material shows that the income of the accused (Thungan) was much more than the assets found in his possession," the trial court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone