HC orders framing of charges against former Union minister
New Delhi: Setting aside a trial court order discharging former Union minister P K Thungan in a 14-year-old disproportionate assets case, the Delhi High Court has ordered framing of charges against him and "expeditiously" proceed with the case.
Justice Sunil Gaur directed the accused to appear before the trial court on February 14 for framing of charges saying "certainly prima facie case is made out to call upon respondent-accused (Thungan) to face the trial in this case".
"Records of this case be transmitted to trial court forthwith and the parties through their counsel are directed to appear before the trial court on February 14...," the court said.
It also directed the trial court to "expeditiously" proceed with the case by giving shortest possible dates.
The high court passed the judgement while allowing the plea of the CBI which had challenged the Congress leader`s discharge by the trial court in the 1998 case.
According to the CBI charge sheet in the case, the former minister of state for urban development (from January 1993 to September 1995) had acquired disproportionate assets worth over Rs one crore.
On January 24, 2005 the trial court had discharged Thungan saying he was not found in possession of assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
"Rather prosecution`s own material shows that the income of the accused (Thungan) was much more than the assets found in his possession," the trial court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in