HC orders framing of charges against former Union minister
New Delhi: Setting aside a trial court order discharging former Union minister P K Thungan in a 14-year-old disproportionate assets case, the Delhi High Court has ordered framing of charges against him and "expeditiously" proceed with the case.
Justice Sunil Gaur directed the accused to appear before the trial court on February 14 for framing of charges saying "certainly prima facie case is made out to call upon respondent-accused (Thungan) to face the trial in this case".
"Records of this case be transmitted to trial court forthwith and the parties through their counsel are directed to appear before the trial court on February 14...," the court said.
It also directed the trial court to "expeditiously" proceed with the case by giving shortest possible dates.
The high court passed the judgement while allowing the plea of the CBI which had challenged the Congress leader`s discharge by the trial court in the 1998 case.
According to the CBI charge sheet in the case, the former minister of state for urban development (from January 1993 to September 1995) had acquired disproportionate assets worth over Rs one crore.
On January 24, 2005 the trial court had discharged Thungan saying he was not found in possession of assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
"Rather prosecution`s own material shows that the income of the accused (Thungan) was much more than the assets found in his possession," the trial court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30