HC orders framing of charges against former Union minister
New Delhi: Setting aside a trial court order discharging former Union minister P K Thungan in a 14-year-old disproportionate assets case, the Delhi High Court has ordered framing of charges against him and "expeditiously" proceed with the case.
Justice Sunil Gaur directed the accused to appear before the trial court on February 14 for framing of charges saying "certainly prima facie case is made out to call upon respondent-accused (Thungan) to face the trial in this case".
"Records of this case be transmitted to trial court forthwith and the parties through their counsel are directed to appear before the trial court on February 14...," the court said.
It also directed the trial court to "expeditiously" proceed with the case by giving shortest possible dates.
The high court passed the judgement while allowing the plea of the CBI which had challenged the Congress leader`s discharge by the trial court in the 1998 case.
According to the CBI charge sheet in the case, the former minister of state for urban development (from January 1993 to September 1995) had acquired disproportionate assets worth over Rs one crore.
On January 24, 2005 the trial court had discharged Thungan saying he was not found in possession of assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
"Rather prosecution`s own material shows that the income of the accused (Thungan) was much more than the assets found in his possession," the trial court had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged