HC refuses to stay notification to declare Jamia minority institution
New Delhi: In a relief for Jamia Millia
Islamia University, the Delhi High Court Wednesday refused to stay
a notification of National Commission for Minority Educational
Institutions (NCMEI) granting it the status of a minority
"We will not stay the notification of the NCMEI," a
division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv
The court, which was hearing a bunch of PILs on the
issue, meanwhile, asked the Centre to clarify its stand as to
whether it was in favour of the grant of minority status to
the varisity or not.
"Additional Solicitor General A S Chadhiok is directed
to apprise the court of the stand of the Centre on the issue
and he has to file documents also which were put before the
NCMEI," the court said.
The counsel for the petitioners had demanded that only
provisional admissions be allowed as the grant of minority
status to the University would consequently result in 50 per
cent reservation for Muslim candidates only.
"Since the matter is sub judice and hence, the process
for admission would depend on the outcome of the petitions in
this court," the bench said.
During the hearing, it was alleged that the panel had
wrongly accorded the minority status to the varsity.
"The institution, created by an Act of the Parliament,
cannot be declared a minority institution," a lawyer,
appearing for petitioner Vijay Kumar Sharma, said.
The Commission had on February 22 had granted minority
institution status to the University.
The court also issued notices to the Human Resources
Development Ministry, the Ministry of Minority Affairs and the
varsity on another PIL filed by advocate Prashant Bhushan on
behalf of NGO Centre For Public Interest Litigation (CPIL) on
The CPIL submitted that the University was established
after the Parliament passed Jamia Milia Islamia Act, 1988 and
there was no mention in the law regarding its minority status.
"Jamia Millia Islamia Act, 1988 enacted by the
Parliament is a special Act in as much as it only deals with
the establishment and incorporation of the said University and
no where the legislature in its wisdom provides that the
University would be a minority institution," it said.
"Administration of the University is under a statutory
scheme framed by the Parliament which nowhere provides any
special privilege to a minority and the appointment to any
post in the university including that of the Vice Chancellor,"
the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'