HC reserves order as J Dey murder accused seeks discharge
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court reserved its order on Tuesday on a discharge plea made by real estate developer Vinod Asrani, alias `Vinod Chembur`, who is an accused in a case of the murder of journalist Jyotirmoy Dey.
Arguments concluded today before a division bench of Justices PV Hardas and Revethi Dhere who reserved the order.
Vinod Asrani`s counsel Adhik Shirodkar pleaded that except his client`s confession given to the police, there was no other evidence against him.
Shirodkar also denied Asrani`s involvement in the murder of the late Jyotirmoy Dey, who was the crime and investigations editor of Mumbai-based tabloid MiD Day, and said it is a fit case for discharge of the accused.
He also refuted police allegations that Asrani had connections with underworld fugitive Chhota Rajan.
Shirodkar said the police had in their possession a recorded telephonic conversation between gangster Chhota Rajan and his associate wherein the former said Vinod Asrani was unnecessarily arrested in the case and that he was not involved.
He also said Asrani`s confession to police was made under duress. Asrani was neither a member of any gang or syndicate nor was he associated with the Chhota Rajan gang, Shirodkar argued.
However, government pleader Ajay Gadkari opposed Asrani`s plea for discharge, saying he was allegedly involved in the conspiracy to kill Dey who was shot dead on June 11, 2011.
He said Satish Kalia had fired bullets at the victim and Asrani had earlier shown Dey to the assailant.
Asrani is accused of calling Dey to a suburban hotel and identifying him to members of Chhota Rajan gang who allegedly shot the journalist dead in suburban Powai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog