HC reserves verdict on election petition against Sonia
Lucknow: The Allahabad high court Saturday
reserved its verdict on a petition challenging the election of
Congress president Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli.
The Lucknow Bench of the court comprising Justice Satish
Chandra passed this order on an election petition filed by a
voter and elector Rakesh Singh of Rae Bareli.
The petitioner raised the matter of Sonia Gandhi`s
citizenship as well as her name, as mentioned in the voters
Ashok Pandey, the counsel of the petitioner told PTI
that only a citizen of India is eligible to be chosen as the
MP and questioned as to how a person who is not qualified to
be chosen as an MP has been elected from the petitioner`s
The petitioner`s counsel stressed that citizenship by
birth cannot be set at par with those who have got it through
It was also alleged that in the voters list the name
mentioned is Sonia Gandhi, while her actual name is Antonia
On the other hand, the additional solicitor general
Ashok Nigam strongly opposed the election petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read