HC reserves verdict on election petition against Sonia
Lucknow: The Allahabad high court Saturday
reserved its verdict on a petition challenging the election of
Congress president Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli.
The Lucknow Bench of the court comprising Justice Satish
Chandra passed this order on an election petition filed by a
voter and elector Rakesh Singh of Rae Bareli.
The petitioner raised the matter of Sonia Gandhi`s
citizenship as well as her name, as mentioned in the voters
Ashok Pandey, the counsel of the petitioner told PTI
that only a citizen of India is eligible to be chosen as the
MP and questioned as to how a person who is not qualified to
be chosen as an MP has been elected from the petitioner`s
The petitioner`s counsel stressed that citizenship by
birth cannot be set at par with those who have got it through
It was also alleged that in the voters list the name
mentioned is Sonia Gandhi, while her actual name is Antonia
On the other hand, the additional solicitor general
Ashok Nigam strongly opposed the election petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years