HC stays Dharampal`s hanging till April 10
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Saturday stayed till April 10 the execution of Dharampal, a rape convict who later murdered the victim and four members of her family while out on parole in 1993.
Dharampal was set to be hanged on April 15 and had been brought from Rohtak jail where he was lodged to Ambala for the execution, Haryana DGP (Prisons) Sharad Kumar had said earlier today.
The Division bench of Justice A K Mittal and Justice G S Sandhawalia took up the petition for conversion of the death sentence into life imprisonment.
Among the grounds taken in the petition, filed before the High Court was that the Supreme Court was already "seized of the matter".
The court ordered stay on the hanging till April 10 while hearing a petition filed by NGO Lawyers for Human Rights International soon after its filing in view of the urgency involved in the matter.
The counsel Navkiran Singh told the Court that till the morning of April 5, the convict was lodged in Rohtak jail after which he has been shifted to Ambala Jail, "where preparations were being made for executing his death sentence..."
He drew parallel between Dharampal and Davinderpal Singh Bhullar`s case, contending that the Apex Court was "seized of the matter pertaining to all the death sentence convicts, whose mercy petitions were pending with the President for long".
Bhullar has been given the death sentence in connection with the explosions outside the Youth Congress office in Delhi in 1993.
The bench also issued notice to Haryana government and asked it reply to the notice by April 10.
Later, DGP Kumar said that "as of now the hanging remains scheduled for April 15."
"Action in the matter would depend on the directions of the Court, but we are prepared for the hanging on April 15," he said in reply to a question on the petition having been filed in the High Court here today.
"We are yet to get the copy of the order," he added.
The President had recently rejected the convict`s mercy petition, which had been pending for 14 years.
The DGP said the hanging will be carried out in Ambala jail, where the last execution had taken place in 1989.
Asked if hangman was available, he said, "We have all arrangements in place".
The convict, who was earlier lodged in a jail in Rohtak, was shifted to Ambala prison yesterday.
While Haryana has 19 jails, only the ones in Ambala and Hisar have the requisite facilities for hanging.
In 1991, Dharampal was sentenced to 10-year imprisonment for raping a girl in Sonepat.
After his release on parole in 1993, Dharampal along with his brother Nirmal murdered the girl, her father Tale Ram, mother Krishna and brothers Teenu and Praveen when they were sleeping at their house.
Dharmapal and Nirmal were sentenced to death by a Sessions Court on May 5, 1997 and it was retained by the Punjab and Haryana High Court on September 29, 1998.
However, the Supreme Court converted Nirmal`s death penalty to life imprisonment but Dharampal`s death sentence was retained.
His mercy petition was rejected by the Union Home Minister in 2000. Later, Dharampal filed a mercy plea to the President in 2005 which was rejected after about eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt