HC stays Nirmal Baba’s arrest, for now
New Delhi: In a major respite for the controversial godman Nirmal Baba, the Patna High Court on Wednesday ordered an interim stay on his arrest and posted the matter for next hearing on June 18.
The High Court passed its order in response to a petition filed by Nirmal Baba challenging the legality of the Non-Bailable Arrest Warrant (NBW) issued by a local court against him.
While announcing the order, the High Court observed that due legal procedures were not followed in the case and no summons or court notices were issued to the godman by the lower court before issuing a NBW against him.
The High Court had on Tuesday reserved its order till May 23.
Nirmal Baba alias Nirmaljeet Singh Narula had moved the Patna High Court after a court in Bihar’s Araria district issued a NBW against him while responding to a complaint filed by Rakesh Kumar Singh alleging that he was cheated by the godman.
The FIR that was filed at a police station in Bihar’s Araria district accuses Nirmal Baba of fraud and cheating.
The court of Araria Chief Judicial Magistrate Satyendra Razak then issued a warrant of arrest on the basis of an FIR filed on April 21 by complainant who alleged that the Baba forced him to pay Rs. 1,000 in three installments between January and March 2011 on promise of fame and fortune.
In his complaint, Singh also sent by courier counterfoils of the deposits of Rs 300 twice and Rs 400 in the Baba`s account at the Punjab and National Bank to his Delhi address as sought.
According to Araria Superintendent of Police Shivdeep Lande, the accusation was found prima facie true following which he directed the investigating officer to move the court and seek a warrant of arrest.
On behalf of the godman, one of his follower Vindhyachal Prasad Singh, an advocate, then filed the application in the Patna High Court seeking the quashing of the NBW issued by the lower court.
Meanwhile, a plea seeking directions from the Allahabad High Court to stop the telecast of Nirmal Baba`s discourse on various TV channels was also filed yesterday.
Responding to the petition, a division bench comprising Justices Uma Nath Singh and VK Dixit then passed the order directing the Central government`s counsel to seek instructions and file its response on a PIL moved by K Saran, a local lawyer.
The petitioner sought direction saying that his discourse was allegedly violated the Cable T V Network (Regulation) Act 1995 and Cable TV Rules 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened