HC stays proceedings against BSP MLA in gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court
today stayed criminal proceedings against an MLA of ruling
Bahujan Samaj Party in Uttar Pradesh named in a gang-rape case
in Badaun district.
Justice A K Roopanwal passed the order on a petition
by lawmaker Yogendra Sagar, who represents Bilsi constituency
in the state assembly.
Sagar has been named, along with his brother and
another associate, in an FIR lodged at Bilsi police station of
Badaun dated April 29, 2008, alleging that they had gang-raped
an undergraduate student.
A non-bailable warrant had been issued against the
MLA in April this year and he was declared an absconder by the
Chief Judicial Magistrate of Badaun on July 12 following his
failure to appear in court despite repeated summons.
On July 27, the CJM had passed another order directing
the district police to lodge an FIR against the MLA and eight
others for allegedly lodging a fabricated case against the
brothers of the alleged rape victim and threatening witnesses
in the case.
The MLA had moved the High Court with the prayer for a
stay on all the criminal proceedings pending against him in
the lower court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed