HC stays proceedings against BSP MLA in gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court
today stayed criminal proceedings against an MLA of ruling
Bahujan Samaj Party in Uttar Pradesh named in a gang-rape case
in Badaun district.
Justice A K Roopanwal passed the order on a petition
by lawmaker Yogendra Sagar, who represents Bilsi constituency
in the state assembly.
Sagar has been named, along with his brother and
another associate, in an FIR lodged at Bilsi police station of
Badaun dated April 29, 2008, alleging that they had gang-raped
an undergraduate student.
A non-bailable warrant had been issued against the
MLA in April this year and he was declared an absconder by the
Chief Judicial Magistrate of Badaun on July 12 following his
failure to appear in court despite repeated summons.
On July 27, the CJM had passed another order directing
the district police to lodge an FIR against the MLA and eight
others for allegedly lodging a fabricated case against the
brothers of the alleged rape victim and threatening witnesses
in the case.
The MLA had moved the High Court with the prayer for a
stay on all the criminal proceedings pending against him in
the lower court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons