HC stays proceedings against BSP MLA in gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court
today stayed criminal proceedings against an MLA of ruling
Bahujan Samaj Party in Uttar Pradesh named in a gang-rape case
in Badaun district.
Justice A K Roopanwal passed the order on a petition
by lawmaker Yogendra Sagar, who represents Bilsi constituency
in the state assembly.
Sagar has been named, along with his brother and
another associate, in an FIR lodged at Bilsi police station of
Badaun dated April 29, 2008, alleging that they had gang-raped
an undergraduate student.
A non-bailable warrant had been issued against the
MLA in April this year and he was declared an absconder by the
Chief Judicial Magistrate of Badaun on July 12 following his
failure to appear in court despite repeated summons.
On July 27, the CJM had passed another order directing
the district police to lodge an FIR against the MLA and eight
others for allegedly lodging a fabricated case against the
brothers of the alleged rape victim and threatening witnesses
in the case.
The MLA had moved the High Court with the prayer for a
stay on all the criminal proceedings pending against him in
the lower court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof