HC summons IG Prisons on denial of canteen food to inmates
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today while
observing that denial of canteen food to prisoners is
"inhuman", summoned the Inspector General of Prisons on
A division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and Mridula
Bhatkar said "it is absolutely inhuman to deny them food like
boiled eggs or samosas."
The court will on the next hearing scrutinize the reason
behind the ban on canteen food, which was decided in a
circular issued by the Inspector General of Prisons on
September 5, 2008.
"Why would the IG issue such a notice? The prisoners can
at least be allowed to buy and eat something with their own
money," Justice Desai asked.
Public prosecutor P A Pol told the court that it is the
discretion of the IG to make the decision to which Justice
Desai said, "there should be some genuine ground as to why the
facility has been denied."
The court was hearing a petition filed by some of the
convicts in the 1993 serial blasts case seeking for eatables
from the jail canteen be made available to them.
Petitioners` lawyer Aisha Ansari had argued that this
facility was available since 1949. She contended that food
items such as chicken, eggs and mutton etc were sold in the
canteens, and prisoners could buy them with their own money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid