HC to consider whether adultery is an offence
Mumbai: The constitutional validity of the
adultery law has come under judicial scanner, with the Bombay
High Court hearing a petition filed by a city-based
businessman challenging it.
The businessman approached the Court after he was booked
under section 497 -- pertaining to adultery -- of the Indian
Penal Code (IPC) for allegedly having an affair with a married
woman. The offence attracts punishment of up to five years.
Senior counsel Niteen Pradhan, appearing for the
petitioner, argued that it was a woman`s fundamental right to
have sex with a man of her choice and it cannot be curtailed
by an archaic and outdated concept of decency.
"People commit adultery only when their spouse is
incompatible. It is when something begins to sour. It is not
for thrills that anyone has a relationship outside marriage.
The right to have sex with a person of one`s choice is a
fundamental right," Pradhan argued.
He further argued that the provision in law was
discriminatory as a husband aggrieved by his wife`s
extra-marital relationship can get her paramour booked under
section 497, but a wife can not invoke the provision if the
husband is having affair with another woman.
Additional Solicitor General Darius Khambatta, however,
opposed the petition, stating that the right to break up a
marriage - by having an illicit affair with someone else`s
wife - cannot be seen as a Right to Life.
"The Supreme Court has rejected similar petition
challenging the inclusion of adultery as an offence under IPC
on three occasions," Khambatta argued.
"If two adults want to have consensual sex they are free
to do so but they should remain outside the institution of
marriage," Justice B H Marlapalle observed while adjourning
the matter for further hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly