Headley will cooperate with Indian authorities: Lawyer
Chicago: Pakistani-American terrorist
David Coleman Headley, who has confessed to plotting Mumbai
attacks, will cooperate with Indian authorities as required
under the terms of his plea agreement if the US government
allows, his lawyer has said.
John Theis said 49-year-old Headley`s terms of the
plea agreement on March 18 requires that he allows himself to
be interviewed by Indian authorities.
"Headley will cooperate to the extent it is required
to by the terms of his plea agreement but as for the
specifics. I think really our government and our US attorney`s
office have to be the ones to determine the actual form (of
access)," he said when asked to comment about US
Ambassador Timothy J Roemer`s statement that no decision on
direct access for India to David Headley has been made.
Headley moved a guilty plea at a US court on March 18
where he confessed to plotting the 2008 Mumbai attacks that
killed 166 people, including six Americans.
"He is in US custody and so interviewing him does
implicate the security issues and things like that," Theis
When asked if Indian investigators, who come to the
US, can be assured that they would get access to Headley and
be able to put their questions to him, Theis said: "I`m not
the one to ask that. You will have to ask our government, our
US attorney`s office. They are the ones who are going to
determine how this actually happens."
Meanwhile, an FBI spokesperson said: "If the plea
agreement says that Headley has agreed to meet with
investigators from India, then that is what he will do. It is
a question of when and where. But I`m sure if that is what he
agreed to, that is what will happen."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22