Headley`s status hearing adjourned till March 23
Chicago: A US court on Tuesday adjourned till
March 23 the status hearing of Pakistani-American LeT
operative David Headley, charged with conspiring in the Mumbai
terror strikes and plotting attacks against a Danish
Judge Harry Leinenweber of the US District Court,
Northern District of Illinois, adjourned the hearing till
March 23 after a brief proceeding which lasted for three
Headley`s lawyer John Theis said he sought a month`s
extension because "the party is talking and we are reviewing
49-year-old Pakistani-American Headley was not present
in the court during the hearing.
Theis had previously requested Leinenweber that their
client`s "presence be waived" at the status hearing, which
means he would not be required to appear in court today.
After Headley`s arraignment last month, Theis had said
he would "review the evidence with Headley" and during the
status hearing would report to the judge about how things are
moving along and whether "we are making progress as to an
ultimate disposition of the case".
Headley, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of
plotting terror attacks in India and Denmark, remains detained
in federal custody at the federal lock-up Metropolitan
Correctional Centre. Headley was arrested by the FBI on
October 18, 2009 in Chicago.
His co-accused Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana is
set to appear for his status hearing tomorrow.
Meanwhile, spokesman for US attorney`s office Randall
Samborn said he would not be able to comment on whether Indian
authorities would get access to Headley for interrogation,
following the Pune bakery blast, which authorities believe has
a link to Headley.
Theis also said he could not "comment on the specifics
of evidence against Headley" regarding the Pune blast.
An FBI official said the agency would "certainly work
with and accommodate any foreign agency" in the terror
investigation but declined to comment if and when Indian
investigators would get access to Headley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends