Health Min to Central govt hospitals: Provide generic drugs
New Delhi: Union Health Ministry today
directed the Central government hospitals to provide only good
quality generic medicines and whenever a branded drug is
prescribed, it shall also be mentioned that any other
equivalent generic drug could also be provided.
The decision came as it was observed that doctors in
the Central government hospitals and autonomous institutions
under the ministry prescribe specific brands of medicines
quite often with a rider that no substitute should be
"Instances have also come to notice where the
prescribed drug was very expensive and cheaper substitutes
were available. However, the patient did not have any choice
but to produce the prescribed drug," a statement said.
"It is observed that generic drugs are usually much
cheaper than branded drugs. Central Government hospitals must
provide only good quality generic medicines. It has been
decided that whenever any branded drug is prescribed in the
above mentioned institutions, it shall invariably also be
mentioned that any other equivalent generic drug could also be
provided," it said.
For instance, it said, if the prescription is for
Tablet Crocin, then the prescription should read as `Tablet
Crocin` or any other equivalent drug. The hospital would then
have the flexibility of providing generic equivalents of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days