Health system should serve poor, rich alike: Prez
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said progress in the health sector is key to India`s future place of prominence in the world and sought a high quality national health system which could be used by the poor and the rich alike.
Addressing the 40th annual convocation of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, Mukherjee said: "Progress in the health sector is key to India`s future place of prominence in the world.”
"The nation`s productivity depends on the health and well-being of its citizens. Economic growth that does not go hand-in-hand with reduction in avoidable mortality and ill-health is neither sustainable nor desirable," he said.
He also emphasised on the need to create a high quality national health system that was used by the poor and the rich alike.
"It is unacceptable that almost 80 percent of the expenditure on healthcare by our people is met by personal, out of pocket, payment. I am shocked to note that as many as four crore people of our country plunge into poverty each year due to expenses on medical treatment. Yet, we should remember that the health services for the poor cannot be poor health services. We need to craft a high quality national health system that is used by the poor and the rich alike," Mukherjee said.
The President said that the country should aim at attaining universal health coverage in the next two to three five-year plan periods.
"I visualise public spending on health rising to 2.5 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) by the end of the Twelfth (Five Year) Plan period," he said.
Highlighting the need for more nurses, doctors, paramedics and health workers, the President stressed the need to decentralise planning and implementation of healthcare to the district and sub-district levels.
"We need to take health services closer to the homes... the foundation of India`s national health system must be strong, sensitive and efficient," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly