Health worsens, but Anna refuses medication
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 21:55
  
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Gandhian Anna Hazare's health deteriorated on Tuesday night, with doctors advising him to get hospitalised. However, the social activist, who has been fasting for more than a week for a strong Lokpal Bill, has refused to be hospitalised and also decided against being put on Intravenous (IV) drip.

Addressing his supporters at Ramlila Maidan, Anna said his conscience doesn’t allow him to take drips.

"I told him then that I would decide by 10.00 pm after listening to my conscience. My conscience asked me why are you afraid of dying. You had earlier said that you are not afraid of dying, then why are you scared of dying now," Anna said.

"I have decided not to take any medicine. I would ask Dr Trehan and others not to mistake me in this regard. Please do not mistake me for (not taking the medicine)," he added.

He also made it clear that he won’t end his indefinite fast.

Further, Anna warned the government against trying to forcibly evict him from the protest site and told his supporters that they should not allow the government to take him away in case it decides to do so in view of his falling health.

“If anybody from government tries to forcibly evict me from here, you people should block the gate,” Hazare said.

Noting that doctors are worried about his health, Hazare said: "If something happens to me, the government will understand... Even if my kidney fails, there are many people here who will give theirs. If one Anna dies, thousands of Annas who will rise."

"I have given my heart and I am ready to give my life also," he said.

"The entire team has examined Anna Hazare. There are changes in his vital signs. We told him that he needs hospitalisation. But he refused saying I want to be here with the people and asked for intravenous drips to be put on him here only," Dr Naresh Trehan, head of the team of doctors attending on Hazare, had said before Anna announced his decision.

Trehan also said the team will once again review the condition of 74-year-old Hazare, whose glucose level is declining, on Wednesday morning after which a medical bulletin will be issued.

Hazare has lost 5.6 kg since he began his fast on August 16, his close associate Manish Sisodia told reporters here in the morning.

Traces of ketone was also found in his blood.

In the evening, he said Hazare's health is fine and there was no need to worry.

Earlier, doctors had advised Hazare not to venture into the sun as it could have a negative impact on his health.

As he became week, Hazare decided not to address people yesterday as he was doing the past few days.

(With PTI inputs)


First Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 20:42


comments powered by Disqus