Hearing against social websites deferred till May
New Delhi: The hearing of a complaint against various social networking websites for their prosecution for allegedly promoting class enmity and undermining national
integrity was deferred on Tuesday by a Delhi court till May 23.
Metropolitan Magistrate Surabhi Sharma Vats adjourned the hearing for May 23 as the counsel appearing for websites and complainant Vinay Rai said summons have not been served to various websites, named as accused.
The court also allowed the pleas for exemption, made by Facebook India and Orkut, also an accused in the case.
During the hearing, the counsel appearing for Yahoo said the proceedings against them have been quashed by the Delhi High Court.
Advocate Satish Tamta, appearing for Microsoft, said the US-based firm has also approached the Delhi High Court for quashing of the criminal proceedings against them.
Rai`s counsel S P M Tripathi told the court that summons have not been served to various foreign-based websites, who have been named as an accused in the case.
During the hearing, counsel for Ministry of Communication and Information Technology and Ministry of Law and Justice also appeared in the court.
The Centre had earlier told the court that there were sufficient material to proceed against the social networking sites, including Facebook, Google and Microsoft for the alleged offences.
The two-page report was placed after the court directed Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to get the summons served to over 10 foreign-based companies. The summons was issued on December 23 last but they remained unserved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital