Hearing against social websites deferred till May
New Delhi: The hearing of a complaint against various social networking websites for their prosecution for allegedly promoting class enmity and undermining national
integrity was deferred on Tuesday by a Delhi court till May 23.
Metropolitan Magistrate Surabhi Sharma Vats adjourned the hearing for May 23 as the counsel appearing for websites and complainant Vinay Rai said summons have not been served to various websites, named as accused.
The court also allowed the pleas for exemption, made by Facebook India and Orkut, also an accused in the case.
During the hearing, the counsel appearing for Yahoo said the proceedings against them have been quashed by the Delhi High Court.
Advocate Satish Tamta, appearing for Microsoft, said the US-based firm has also approached the Delhi High Court for quashing of the criminal proceedings against them.
Rai`s counsel S P M Tripathi told the court that summons have not been served to various foreign-based websites, who have been named as an accused in the case.
During the hearing, counsel for Ministry of Communication and Information Technology and Ministry of Law and Justice also appeared in the court.
The Centre had earlier told the court that there were sufficient material to proceed against the social networking sites, including Facebook, Google and Microsoft for the alleged offences.
The two-page report was placed after the court directed Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to get the summons served to over 10 foreign-based companies. The summons was issued on December 23 last but they remained unserved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray