Hearing on Swamy`s plea against Raja deferred

Last Updated: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 15:38

New Delhi: A Delhi court on Sunday deferred till
May 26 the hearing on a plea by Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy who had levelled some fresh allegations against former
telecom minister A Raja, the key accused in the 2G spectrum
allocation case.

Special CBI Judge O P Saini, who had dismissed last month
Swamy`s plea to make Home Minister P Chidambaram a co-accused
in the case, had said the hearing on Swamy`s compliant, which
also had some additional allegations against Raja would resume
from today.
The court adjourned the hearing for May 26 after Swamy`s
counsel Tarun Goomber said the matter for making Chidambaram a
co-accused in the case was pending before the Supreme Court.

"The matter is pending in the Supreme Court and we are
hoping that order would come soon. Please adjourn the matter
for mid-May," Goomber said about the appeal filed by Swamy
against the special judge`s February 4 order which had
dismissed his plea against Chidambaram.
The judge also condoned his abscence from the court today
on his plea for exemption from personal appearance for the day
as he was in Chennai.

The court had earlier dismissed Swamy`s plea to make
Chidambaram an accused in the 2G case saying he did not
indulge in any criminal conspiracy or derived any pecuniary
advantage in the decisions taken with Raja.

Giving a clean chit to Chidambaram, who was the finance
minister during the controversial allocation of 2G spectrum in
2008, the court had said he was party to only two decisions --
keeping spectrum prices at 2001 level and dilution of equity
by two companies and they "are not per se criminal" offence.

The court had said there was no evidence on record to
suggest that there was an agreement between Chidambaram and
Raja to subvert telecom policy and obtain pecuniary advantage
for himself or for any other person.

PTI



First Published: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 15:38
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus