Heat, humidity hit normal life in North; 2 killed
New Delhi: Heat coupled with humid conditions hit normal life in North India as temperature in Sriganganagar district of Rajasthan breached 48 degree mark while two persons were killed in dust storm in Uttar Pradesh.
High humidity made life tough for Delhiites while mercury hovered below 40 degree-mark in the national capital for the second day in a row today.
The day temperature settled at 39.8 degree Celsius, one notch below normal and slightly higher from yesterday`s 39.3 deg C.
Minimum temperature was registered at 29.1 deg C which was one degree above normal and 3.4 degrees up from previous day`s 25.7 deg C.
Humidity oscillated between 49 and 73 per cent.
In Uttar Pradesh, two persons including a woman were killed and several others injured in dust storm which hit Muzaffarnagar district.
Parts of the state also witnessed showers during the past 24 hours. Bijnore received 4 cm rain, Pratapgarh and Kanpur 1 cm each, Meteorological department said.
Highest maximum temperature in the state was recorded in Banda at 41.8 degree Celsius.
There was no let up in the heat wave sweeping across Rajasthan, where Sriganganagar was the hottest place today with a maximum of 48.1 degree Celsius.
The day temperature was seven notches above normal in Sriganganagar where normal life was thrown out of gear.
Churu sizzled at 47.2 deg C whereas Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Barmer and Jaipur recorded maximum of 44.6, 43.5, 43.4 and 42.3 deg C respectively, according to MeT department here.
However, mercury in Punjab and Haryana remained at comfortable level.
Union territory Chandigarh, joint capital of Punjab and Haryana recorded a high of 34.8 deg C, the weather office said here.
However, Amritsar was recorded a high of 43.6 deg C, up by three notches. In the neighbouring Haryana, Ambala had a maximum of 34.2 deg C, down by six degrees.
Hisar and Bhiwani experienced a hot day at 44 deg C and 42 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert