Heat wave across north, Sriganganagar at 49 degrees
New Delhi: The heat wave continued across
the northern region on Wednesday where Sriganganagar in Rajasthan
sizzled at a high of 49.3 degree celsius.
The high temperatures in the desert state were
compounded by severe duststorms, adding to the woes of
The Met office said Jaipur recorded a maximum of 44.9
degree celsius, Jaisalmer 48 degrees, Pilani 47.7 degrees and
Churu 46.8 degrees.
Punjab and Haryana also experienced a very hot day as
temperatures stayed above the 45 degrees mark at many places,
including in Hisar and Amritsar where the daytime temperatures
were registered at 47.9 and 47 degrees respectively.
Ambala saw the mercury touch 44.1 degrees, four
notches above normal while Karnal recorded a high of 45
degrees, four marks above normal. Both towns recorded the
hottest day so far of the season.
The union territory of Chandigarh had a high of 43.2
degrees, according to the Met office.
Ludhiana and Patiala in Punjab experienced daytime
temperatures of 46.5 and 45.6 degrees, five and six degrees
above normal respectively.
In view of the intense heat, the Haryana government
ordered all its and private-aided schools to be closed in the
state from May 27 to 31.
In the national capital, the maximum temperature was
five degrees above normal at 46.3 degrees while the minimum
temperature was recorded at 30.5 degrees, six degrees above
Temperatures were also high in Himachal Pradesh where
Una was the hottest at 43 degrees. The Queen of the Hills had
a high of 30 degrees while it crossed the 41 degrees mark in
Mandi and Sundernagar.
Uttarakhand state capital Dehradun had a maximum
temperature of 39.4 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read