Heat wave back in northern states
New Delhi: After a brief respite, the heat
wave was back in north India today with mercury touching the
45-degree mark at a number of places in the region.
Even the summer resort Shimla in Himachal Pradesh, where
people from plains retreat to escape blistering heat, recorded
a comparatively hot day at 29.4 degree Celsius, a rise by over
a notch than yesterday.
Una was the hottest place in the hilly state at 42.2 C
followed by Mandi 39.4 C, Sundernagar 39.1 C and Nahan 37.6 C.
In the plains, Churu in Rajasthan was the hottest at 45.4
C followed by Sriganganagar at 45.2 degrees. Pilani, Kota,
Bikaner, Jaipur and Barmer too reeled at 43.7 C, 43.5 C, 42.7
C, 42.4 C and 42.2 degrees respectively.
National capital Delhi endured a hot day with the maximum
rising to 42.5 degree Celsius, over two notches above normal,
and the minimum settling at 28 degrees. The week-end was not
that hot for the capital as the mercury remained below 40
degree Celsius. However, the temperature showed an upward
trend in the past couple of days.
Mercury showed a rising trend in Punjab and Haryana where
Ludhiana and Hissay sizzled at 45 degree Celsius each.
Blistering heat swept Amritsar and Patiala, with both
places recording a maximum of 44.6 C and 44 C respectively.
Ambala was hot at 43.5 C, up by three degrees, and the maximum
in Karnal settled at 43.2 C, three notches above normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city