Heat wave claims 10 lives; Kota hottest at 48.4 C
New Delhi: The searing heat in northern,
western and central India claimed 10 lives as Kota in
Rajasthan was the hottest across the country at 48.4 degrees
Seven people died in Gujarat as heatwave conditions
prevailed in parts of north and Kutch region of the state.
Bhavnagar, where two deaths were reported, boiled at 45.1 C
followed by Ahmedabad 44.4 C.
The heat wave claimed three lives in Jaipur in Rajasthan,
where Kota sizzled at 48.4 as Sriganganagar and Jaisalmer
braved a hot day at 48.1 C and 48 C respectively. Most parts
of the state recorded a temperature in excess of the 45-degree
Sweltering heat swept Punjab and Haryana as Hisar
recorded its hottest day in over a decade at 48.1 degrees,
over seven degrees above normal. The district had registered
48.8 C on May 26, 1998.
Elsewhere in the region, Amritsar baked at 45.9 C, the
highest this season, followed by Ludhiana 44.8 C and Patiala
The national capital too saw mercury shooting up as hot
winds blew across several places including the areas around
the IGI airport. The maximum settled at 44.6 C, a rise of 1.2
degrees than yesterday, while the minimum was recorded at 29.6
degrees. The city has recorded its hottest day this season on
May 17 when the mercury touched 45.4 C.
In the hill state of Himachal Pradesh, the weather
remained dry as the maximum in capital Shimla settled at 30.1
C against yesterday`s 29.9 C. Una was the hottest place in the
state at 43.4 C followed by Mandi 40.6 C and Sundernagar 39.9
In Maharashtra, Bramhapuri and Wardha in Vidarbha
recorded their highest temperatures of the season at 48.3 and
48 degrees Celsius respectively, as five more deaths,
suspected to have been caused by intense heat, were reported
from Nagpur which sizzled at 47.2 C, the Met office said.
According to police, five unnatural deaths were today
reported from various places in the city.
These persons may have died of excessive heat, though
the exact cause will be known after their post-mortem reports
are received, they said.
Six such deaths were reported from Nagpur yesterday,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical