Heat wave in North, East India
New Delhi: The summer sun scorched the north and east of the country where the temperature at most places climbed above 40 degrees celsius.
Hot winds blew in the national capital where the maximum temperature touched the season`s highest of 44 degrees celsius, which is three degrees above normal.
In Uttarakhand, Dehra Dun recorded the hottest day of the season when the mercury rose to 41.4 degrees.
It is also the highest temperature recorded in the month of May in the city since 2004 when it was recorded at 41.6 degrees.
SriGanganagar continued to remain the hottest place in Rajasthan recording a maximum of 45.7 degrees celsius.
Churu, Kota and Jaipur recorded maximums of 45.5, 45.3 and 43.8 degrees respectively whereas Barmer and Bikaner sizzled at 43.5 degrees.
Other places also recorded day temperatures between 41.9 degrees celsius to 43.3 degrees.
In Punjab and Haryana, the mercury shot up by upto five notches above normal temperature.
Hisar turned out to the hottest place in both states with maximum temperature well above the 40 degrees celsius mark. Chandigarh had a maximum of 41 degrees Celsius which was up by three notches above normal.
In Haryana, Narnaul was second highest after Hisar at 44 degrees Celsius, up by three notches.
Temperatures in several parts of Jharkhand today soared to 45 degrees celsius.
In Bokaro and Giridih, it was even hotter at 46 degrees Celsius. Dhanbad, Dumka (45), Jamshedpur, Palamau and Hazaribagh also reeled under severe heat wave conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened