Heat wave scorches nation; thunderstorms kill 29
New Delhi: Hot and humid conditions on Thursday
threw normal life out of gear in many parts of the country,
including the national capital where the day temperature
stayed three degrees above normal, even as thunderstorms
claimed at least 29 lives in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
Delhiites reeled under severe heat with dry warm winds
making lives difficult for commuters. The maximum temperature
was recorded at 42.2 degree Celsius, three degrees above
normal for this time of the season, while the minimum settled
at 28.8 degrees Celsius, four degrees more than normal.
The national capital also witnessed power cuts ranging
from one to five hours due to gap in demand and supply,
prompting the Delhi government to direct the private discoms
to arrange additional power and strengthen their distribution
At least 17 people have died since last night in Uttar
Pradesh and 12 in Bihar as dust and thunderstorms lashed
several parts of the two states, officials said.
22 people were killed in similar incidents in Uttar
Jhansi was the hottest place in the state with a maximum
temperature of 46.5 deg C, even as some cities witnessed
marginal fall in day temperature. The mercury settled at 36.4
deg C in the state capital Lucknow.
The heat wave also continued to sweep Rajasthan where
Pilani was recorded as the hottest place with 47.4 degree
Celsius, followed by Sriganganagar at 47.3 degrees.
Among other places in the desert state, Churu, Bikaner,
and Kota recorded respective maximums of 46.5, 45.6 and 45 deg
C, while the capital Jaipur recorded 43.6 deg C.
Heat conditions continued unabated in the twin states of
Punjab and Haryana with mercury settling a few notches above
normal at most places.
In Haryana, Hisar sizzled at 45.5 deg C, four degrees
above normal, while Bhiwani recorded 44 deg C, up by three
notches. Rohtak and Gurgaon registered 42 and 43 deg C
Amritsar in Punjab witnessed 44.6 deg C, while Patiala
recorded a high of 42 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet
- December 16 gang-rape convict attempts suicide – Read Nirbhaya parents' response
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan