Heat wave sweeps northern and eastern regions; 5 dead
New Delhi: Five people died on Tuesday due to
sunstroke as heat wave continued to sweep northern and eastern
regions of the country with mercury staying several notches
above normal at many places.
All the five deaths occurred in Orissa where Hirakud
reeled under intense heat recording a high of 45.5 degree
The maximum temperature in Sambalpur and Sundargarh in
the state, where the heat wave has claimed 42 lives so far,
touched 45.3 and 44.5 degree Celsius respectively, Met office
In Rajasthan, Barmer was the hottest place recording a
maximum temperature of 44.2 degree celsius followed by Jodhpur
Sriganganagar and Kota recorded maximum of 42.3 degree
Celsius each even as Churu received light rain this morning.
In Jammu and Kashmir, the mercury shot up and settled
above normal, a day after snow in upper reaches and rains in
plains had brought relief to people of the state.
The maximum temperature in winter capital Jammu settled
at 38.8 degree, 6.8 degrees above normal. Srinagar recorded a
high of 23, 4 degree above normal, the Met office said.
Katra, the base camp for holy Vaishno Devi shrine,
recorded a high of 33.7 and a low of 17.9.
However, Ladakh region continues to witness pleasant
weather during the day with the maximum temperature settling
In southern part of the country, Andhra capital Hyderabad
experienced temperature of the season with mercury touching
Met officials warned that the mercury would increase a
couple of degrees further with maximum temperature likely to
hover around 43 C for today and tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control; all-party meeting at 4 pm