Heat wave tightens grip on north; Churu at 46.6
New Delhi: The heat wave sweeping across
the northern plains today tightened its grip as the mercury
rose to a searing 46.6 degree celsius in Churu in Rajasthan
and 45.4 degrees in the national capital.
Elsewhere in the desert state, Kota experienced a high
of 46 degrees while the Pink City saw the mercury settle at
Barmer and Sriganganagar both recorded daytime
temperatures of 44.6 degrees, the Met office said.
In the national capital, the mercury climbed to the
season`s highest of 45.4 degrees, also the highest temperature
in May in the past eight years.
Today`s maximum was 1.5 degrees up from yesterday`s
high and four degrees above normal for this season. The
minimum touched 28.2 degrees as against yesterday`s 25.6
The humidity oscillated between 15 and 59 per cent.
In Punjab and Haryana, Hisar was the hottest place in
the region at 46.1 degrees.
Ambala experienced a daytime temperature of 41.4
degrees, two notches above normal while the high in Karnal
settled at 41.8 degrees, up four degrees.
Chandigarh had a maximum temperature of 41 degrees.
Patiala in Punjab was the hottest place in the state
at 42.1 degrees, three degrees above normal, while in Ludhiana
it was 42 degrees.
The mercury settled at 40.4 degrees in Amritsar, the
Met office said.
In Himachal Pradesh, however, temperatures dipped in
the lower and mid hills due to strong winds accompanied by
Una, which experienced a high of 42.6 degrees
yesterday, recorded today`s daytime temperature at 38.2
In the Queen of the Hills, the high fell from
yesterday`s 29.2 degrees to 24.3 degrees today.
In Nahan, Bhuntar and Solan, the mercury settled at
37.2, 22.7 and 31.8 degrees respectively.
The heat was also unrelenting in the Vidarbha region
where Chandrapur recorded a high of 47.3 degrees. It was 47.1
and 46.1 degrees respectively in Wardha and Nagpur, according
to the Met office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?