Heated arguments on Adarsh scam during PAC meet
New Delhi: A meeting of the Public Accounts Committee Friday saw strong arguments between chairman Murli Manohar Joshi and a Congress member over pursuance of CAG`s report on Adarsh Society when an inquiry commission has declared that the land belongs to the state government.]
At the first meeting of the newly-constituted PAC, Sanjay Nirupam is learnt to have said that since the land belongs to the Maharashtra government, the PAC cannot take up a state subject.
He said an inquiry commission set up by the Maharashtra government has declared that the land on which the controversial building stands, belongs to the state government and not the Defence Ministry.
The CAG report on Adarsh was no more relevant for the PAC as the matter was now a state subject, Nirupam told the panel.
Some members, including B Mahtab (BJD) reasoned that the PAC can take up the report as the society was set up for Kargil war heroes with the help of Army officers, hence the issue came under the domain of the Centre.
The CAG report on the Adarsh scam is part of the PAC`s agenda "carried forward" to new committee. The report was on the agenda of previous committee whose term ended on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city