Heated arguments on Adarsh scam during PAC meet
New Delhi: A meeting of the Public Accounts Committee Friday saw strong arguments between chairman Murli Manohar Joshi and a Congress member over pursuance of CAG`s report on Adarsh Society when an inquiry commission has declared that the land belongs to the state government.]
At the first meeting of the newly-constituted PAC, Sanjay Nirupam is learnt to have said that since the land belongs to the Maharashtra government, the PAC cannot take up a state subject.
He said an inquiry commission set up by the Maharashtra government has declared that the land on which the controversial building stands, belongs to the state government and not the Defence Ministry.
The CAG report on Adarsh was no more relevant for the PAC as the matter was now a state subject, Nirupam told the panel.
Some members, including B Mahtab (BJD) reasoned that the PAC can take up the report as the society was set up for Kargil war heroes with the help of Army officers, hence the issue came under the domain of the Centre.
The CAG report on the Adarsh scam is part of the PAC`s agenda "carried forward" to new committee. The report was on the agenda of previous committee whose term ended on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened