Heatwave continues to sizzle North India, monsoon likely to be below normal
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: While northern India is in the grip of severe heat wave, Earth Science Minister Jitendra Singh on Monday said that monsoon rainfall in India could be below normal at 93 percent this year.
As per the Meteorological Department, chances of deficient rainfall between June to September are 33 percent.
Furthermore, states like Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh may face drought.
Monsoon is expected to hit Delhi by end of June, as per the Met Department.
Meanwhile, the temperature in North India has been recorded over 45 degree Celsius.
The four-month-long monsoon season started after the rains arrived over India’s southern coast about five days behind the average date of 1 June.
South West Monsoon, which hit Kerala shores three days ago, has further advanced covering the entire state today.
Heavy rainfall, exceeding 7 cm, has been predicted in isolated places in Kerala and Lakshadweep till June 12, a bulletin issued by the Meteorological Centre here said.
"Rain occurred at most places in Kerala and Lakshadweep. Minicoy in Lakshadweep reported heavy rainfall of 10 cm," it said.
Kozhikode, Kodungallur (Thrissur district), Ernakulam South, Kayamkulam and Mancompu (both in Alappuzha district), Kozha (Kottayam district) and Vaikom received rainfall of 5 cm each.
In Delhi, the maximum temperature touched a 62-year high at 47.8 degree Celsius on Sunday.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened