Heavy rains continue to lash Uttarakhand; rivers flowing near danger mark
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Dehradun: Rain fury continued in Uttarakhand overnight with major rivers flowing dangerously close to the danger mark.
The Char Dham Yatra continues to remain suspended at least till Saturday due to incessant rains and landslides that have blocked all roads leading to the Himalayan shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Yamnotri and Gangotri.
Among the rivers flowing near the danger mark are Mandakini, Sharda, Bhagirathi and Alakananda. The administration has already asked residents living near the rivers to evacuate and shift to safer places.
Among the key routes that have got blocked due to rains and landslides include the National Highway connecting Kedar valley, the Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway and the road connecting Kedarnath and Gaurikund.
The state has been experiencing heavy rainfall in many districts since Tuesday night. According to the Met department, there will be no let up in rainfall at least for the next two days.
As regards devotees already on way to the Himalayan shrines, authorities said most of them are safe as the alert for heavy rains was sounded in time.
So far, the authorities have not reported any casualties or damage to property.
Last year in June, thousands died in Uttarakhand following heavy rains and flash floods. Most of the dead were pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in