Heavy rains in Mumbai; anxious wait in North India
Mumbai/Delhi: Monsoon showers continued for the second consecutive day in Mumbai even as North India anxiously awaits rains with power crisis worsening across the region.
Mumbaikars woke up to intermittent heavy rains on Thursday morning. The temperature also moved in sync with the wet weather as it has dipped to 26 degrees Celsius.
Meanwhile, the torrential rains have led to delay in the movement of local trains in Western line.
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted heavy rains in Mumbai in the next 24 hours. Residents of many low lying areas in the metropolis are already battling water logging. The situation is acute in areas like Dadar, Hindmata, Parel and Sion.
Owing to the heavy downpour, a house partially collapsed in the distant suburb of Ambernath, injuring eight persons.
Situation grim in North India
In contrast, the situation in North India is grim. The monsoon has advanced to Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow and is expected to reach Delhi by Saturday.
The Delhi-NCR region will get monsoon rains for 3-4 days starting Saturday, reports said.
However, pre-monsoon showers were expected over northwest India, including Delhi, Punjab and Haryana, within the next 24 hours.
Further north, water storage at Bhakra Nangal and seven other reservoirs in the region is at a critical level, triggering major power outages across Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi.
Importantly, the Bhakra Beas Management Board will hold an emergency meeting with partnering states including Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan, to take stock of the situation.
Monsoon rains have been 30 per cent deficient so far and the weather office data showed 82 per cent of the area of the country, including the granary states of Punjab and Haryana, are receiving deficient or scanty rainfall.
The country as a whole had received 137.8 mm rainfall as against the normal of 197.7 mm since the onset of monsoon till Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far