Heavy rains in North India, 18 killed in UP
New Delhi: Parts of North India received heavy rains due to which 18 people died in Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours even as a cloudburst washed away many shops and vehicles in Himachal Pradesh.
The capital Delhi recorded a maximum of 33.1 degrees Celsius and a minimum of 24.8 degrees Celsius.
As many as 18 people have lost their lives in rain-related incidents in parts of Uttar Pradesh which received moderate to heavy rainfall in the past 24 hours.
Reports said 10 people perished in Gorakhpur followed by three each in Lakhimpur and Amethi and two in Basti in incidents like wall collapse.
Rain and thundershowers are likely at a few places in the next 24 hours, the Met office predicted.
Meanwhile, Central Water Commission sources here said river Ganga was rising in Fatehgarh while it has crossed the red mark at Ballia and Sharda was also flowing above the danger mark at Palia Kalan and Sharda Nagar (Kheri).
In Himachal Pradesh, shops and vehicles were washed away as flash floods caused by a cloudburst at Kolikohar village in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh wreaked havoc in the area forcing around 1,000 people to climb on trees to save themselves from gushing waters.
The water entered the main bazar at Barot washing away 14 shops and causing damage to 32 others as people ran helter-skelter in panic. The villagers alleged that the Shanan project authorities did not open the gates of the reservoir at night and water spilled over, causing floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered