Heavy rains in Uttarakhand for next three days: Met dept
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Dehradun: Even as the rescue operation in the flood-ravaged Uttarakhand came to an end on Tuesday, the met department has predicted heavy rains for in the area from tomorrow.
According to the met department, the heavy rains are expected for three days starting Wednesday and will affect Kumaon region and areas of Pithoragarh, Nainital, Champawat.
Over 11,000 people are feared to be still missing in the flash-floods and landslides in Uttarakhand, NDMA Vice-Chairman Shashidhar Reddy said on Tuesday.
Reddy said as per the official data, the count of missing people has reached only upto 3,500 to 3,700 but more than 11,000 people are feared to be missing in the state.
According to the NDMA`s recent data, rains and floods had affected 4,200 villages in Uttarakhand besides damaging 2,397 houses and 194 bridges.
So far, 580 people have lost their lives and officially 3,500 continue to be missing.
Around 150 locals, mostly women and children, have also requested evacuation in Badrinath area which will be initiated as soon as weather permits, he told reporters in a press conference.
On the possible threat of any epidemic in Badrinath, he said, "Our teams have surveyed the area and there is no threat of any epidemic as it has been completely evacuated."
Refuting the allegation of not heeding to prior warnings issued by Indian Space Research Organisation, Reddy said no such information was given by ISRO as it does not have the authority to do so.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!