Heed Tata`s `banana republic` statement: Pawar
New Delhi: Amid the tape controversy,
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said the government
should take note of Ratan Tata`s statement that India risked
turning into a `banana republic`.
"When a person like him makes a statement, I think we
should take him seriously," Pawar said on whether he had
raised the issues taken up by the USD 73 billion Tata group
supremo Ratan Tata at the UPA meeting yesterday.
The leader of the Nationalist Congress Party, an
important ally of the ruling UPA, added: "He (Tata) is not an
ordinary man. I am not saying he is a rich man but he
definitely commands respect not only in India but also
Tata had taken strong exception to the leakage of his
conversation with his PR person Niira Radia.
In an interview, Tata said that what had happened in the
last few weeks was an indication of what could happen anytime.
"Then we are really going down the root into a Banana
On the issue of CBI probe into the loan bribery scam,
Pawar cautioned against excessive use of the agency and said
if it started investigating every case where concession was
made, "my worry is banks and bank officials will not take any
decision (on granting loans)...
"I could not understand what is the responsibility of the
finance minister and what is the responsibility of CBI."
On what is the way forward, he said while detailed
investigation was a must if something had gone wrong, but
"simultaneously we have to see situation should not go to that
level where nobody will take any decision."
Pawar dismissed suggestions that CBI investigation into
corporate dealings could impact the government`s relations
with India Inc, saying: "There will not be any impact. If
somebody has done wrong, the government`s duty is to
investigate into it.
"If CBI or the state has serious information, it is their
responsibility to investigate the matter."
Incidentally, Ratan Tata yesterday moved Supreme Court
for a probe into leakage of tapes containing his private
conversations with Radia and seeking to make CBI, the Union
Home Secretary and the Income Tax Department respondents to
The tax department had tapped the phones of Radia as part
of its investigation into alleged irregularities in allocation
of 23 spectrum.
Yesterday, CBI filed in the Supreme Court a fresh status
report on its ongoing investigation into the 2G spectrum scam
allegedly involving former Telecom Minister A Raja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues