Hegde wants debate on electoral reforms
Bangalore: Team Anna member Santosh Hegde
on Monday called for a wide debate on electoral reforms similar
to the Lokpal Bill and sought to know why measures like `Right
to Recall` and `Right to Reject` won`t work in India.
"I think there should be a debate (on electoral reforms)
across the country...as is the debate taking place on Lokpal
bill...We will have to discuss why it`s not practical in our
country," the former Supreme Court judge told when asked to
comment on Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi remarks
that such a move is impractical.
In an interview to a news channel, Quraishi had said he
is not in favour of `Right to Recall`, `Right to Reject` as
any such electoral rule will "destabilise" the country.
"It`s not possible in India...It will destabilise the
country, everywhere where there is discontent, people will
start recalling," the CEC had said.
Hegde said, "If it`s (the clause) suited to one country,
we got to find if there is a way by which you can modify it to
suit our country."
The former Karnataka Lokayukta said while "everybody says
yes" to electoral reforms, there should be debates on how it
should be done -- whether it should be `Right to Recall` or
`Right to Reject` or electoral funding to be taken over by the
He said Team Anna has no problem in discussing Quraishi`s
suggestion favouring appointment of Election Commission by a
collegium of people representing a cross section or political
parties, rather than by the government, to improve public
perception about the institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM