Hema Malini files nomination for RS from K`taka
Bangalore: Veteran actress Hema Malini Monday filed her nomination papers as the BJP candidate for the March 3 Rajya Sabha election from Karnataka.
Accompanied by Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa and the
party`s state unit president K S Eshwarappa, she filed the
nomination before Returning Officer, S B Patil, at Vidhana
Soudha, the State Secretariat.
Going by the BJP`s strength in the Legislative Assembly,
Hema Malini is sure to get elected.
The bye-election to the seat was necessitated following
the death of former Union minister M Rajasekhara Murthy.
The winning candidate`s term would end on April 2 next
Hema Malini`s surprise choice for the seat has reportedly
led to dissatisfaction among a section of BJP in the state, as
she is seen as an "outsider".
Before the announcement of her candidature, the name of
former Union minister of state for finance, V Dhananjaya
Kumar, who is the special representative of Karnataka in New
Delhi, was doing the rounds.
Malini, who completed one term in the Rajya Sabha in
2009, will get only the remaining one year term of Rajashekhar
Murthy. The JD(S) leader died on December 6, 2010 due to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?