Hema Malini files nomination for RS from K`taka
Bangalore: Veteran actress Hema Malini Monday filed her nomination papers as the BJP candidate for the March 3 Rajya Sabha election from Karnataka.
Accompanied by Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa and the
party`s state unit president K S Eshwarappa, she filed the
nomination before Returning Officer, S B Patil, at Vidhana
Soudha, the State Secretariat.
Going by the BJP`s strength in the Legislative Assembly,
Hema Malini is sure to get elected.
The bye-election to the seat was necessitated following
the death of former Union minister M Rajasekhara Murthy.
The winning candidate`s term would end on April 2 next
Hema Malini`s surprise choice for the seat has reportedly
led to dissatisfaction among a section of BJP in the state, as
she is seen as an "outsider".
Before the announcement of her candidature, the name of
former Union minister of state for finance, V Dhananjaya
Kumar, who is the special representative of Karnataka in New
Delhi, was doing the rounds.
Malini, who completed one term in the Rajya Sabha in
2009, will get only the remaining one year term of Rajashekhar
Murthy. The JD(S) leader died on December 6, 2010 due to a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred