Herat kidnapping: No breakthrough yet, victim`s family appeals to Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The family of Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan has appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to secure early release of their kin.
Days after the attack on Indian consulate in Herat, Afghanistan, the 47-year-old Indian, Fr Alexis Prem Kumar was kidnapped by unknown gunmen from Herat on Monday evening.
The abducted Indian was working with an NGO in Herat, Khaama Press cited local government officials as saying.
The Indian aid worker continues to remain in captivity for the third day on Tuesday with local authorities yet to get any "conclusive" clues in the case.
According to officials, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was monitoring the situation relating to the abduction.
The External Affairs Ministry also denied that the abducted Indian was in any way connected to the Indian government, which is carrying out developmental and reconstruction work in Afghanistan.
"Indian government is in touch at all levels. The external affairs minister is monitoring the situation and giving direction when required. Our Ambassador is in the touch with the Afghan government in Kabul and our Consul General is in touch with local authorities in Herat," an official said.
A native of Tamil Nadu, Kumar was working with the Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS), an educational charity, as its Afghanistan director and has been in the country for over three years. Before moving to Afghanistan, Kumar had worked for the JRS, serving Sri Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu. Kumar had accompanied teachers on a visit to a JRS-supported school for the returnee refugees in Sohadat village, 25 km from the city of Herat. He was kidnapped from the school as he was about to return to Herat, the JRS said.
Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh was in Herat during the weekend to review the security situation following the attack on the consulate. She held meetings in Kabul with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and presidential candidates Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani.
With IANS/PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!
- Navjot Singh Sidhu is still in the party: Punjab BJP chief