Heritage monuments in good state of conservation: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said Taj Mahal and all heritage monuments are in good state of conservation and constant efforts are made to mitigate impact of any natural calamity.
"Conservation of the centrally-protected monuments is
a continuous process," Minister of State for Parliamentary
Affairs V Narayanasamy said in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
Though there is no specific budget provision for
protecting the monuments from the onslaught of natural
calamities, the government, as a precaution, has undertaken
retrofitting work, water tightenting and installation of lightning conductors wherever necessary, the minister said.
He said the ASI has not accorded clearance to the
Railway Ministry for constructing another bridge in place of
the railway bridge constructed on river Yamuna in Delhi.
"The entire proposal was examined in detail and it was
found that the piers are proposed to be constructed not only
in the prohibited area but also within the protected area of
the centrally-protected monument i.e. Salimgarh Fort," the
The Northern Railways had made the request to
construct the bridge in 2005.
The proposal also involves sacrificing about 1000
sq.m. within the Salimgarh Fort. "As such, clearance was not
given," he said.
The minister, however, said the ASI did permit to a
limited extent construction related activities close to the
centrally protected monuments and sites in certain cases
taking due care that the interest of the monument is not
sacrificed in any manner.
He said no structural damage has occurred to a minaret
of Hyderabad`s iconic Charminar after a portion of its fell
"There is no structural damage to the minaret. Only stucco application work containing floral design has fallen.
A comprehensive estimate is prepared not only for restoring the stucco work but also repairing other portions of the
monument," the minister said in reply to another question.
He said proposals have been received from various
agencies and individuals for declaring certain monuments of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?