High atrocities against SC/STs in 100% literate Kerala
Kochi: Despite achieving 100 per cent
literacy rate, there were atrocities against Scheduled Castes
and Scheduled Tribes in Kerala, Union Minister for Social
Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said today.
"About 35,000 cases of atrocities against SCs and STs
were registered in the country till 2007 under SC and ST
Prevention of Atrocities Act. Kerala is on 14th spot. There is
a need to find out why such atrocities are being committed
against the community in a state which has 100 per cent
literacy," he said.
Wasnik was speaking at a state-level launch of `Panchami
Swayam Sahaya Sangham` (Self Help Initiative) of Kerala
Pulayar Maha Sabha (KPMS) here.
He said the UPA government at the Centre was implementing
several projects for the uplift of SCs and STs and a
continuous dialogue was on with the private sector to ensure
equal opportunities for them.
The minister said a coordination committee under the
Chairmanship of Prime Minister`s Principal Secretary has been
constituted to continue the process.
Union Minister of state for Agriculture Prof K V Thomas,
Kerala Forest Minister Binoy Viswom and KPMS General Secretary
P Sreekumar attended the launch.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor