High atrocities against SC/STs in 100% literate Kerala
Kochi: Despite achieving 100 per cent
literacy rate, there were atrocities against Scheduled Castes
and Scheduled Tribes in Kerala, Union Minister for Social
Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said today.
"About 35,000 cases of atrocities against SCs and STs
were registered in the country till 2007 under SC and ST
Prevention of Atrocities Act. Kerala is on 14th spot. There is
a need to find out why such atrocities are being committed
against the community in a state which has 100 per cent
literacy," he said.
Wasnik was speaking at a state-level launch of `Panchami
Swayam Sahaya Sangham` (Self Help Initiative) of Kerala
Pulayar Maha Sabha (KPMS) here.
He said the UPA government at the Centre was implementing
several projects for the uplift of SCs and STs and a
continuous dialogue was on with the private sector to ensure
equal opportunities for them.
The minister said a coordination committee under the
Chairmanship of Prime Minister`s Principal Secretary has been
constituted to continue the process.
Union Minister of state for Agriculture Prof K V Thomas,
Kerala Forest Minister Binoy Viswom and KPMS General Secretary
P Sreekumar attended the launch.
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah