High command will decided on next PM candidate: Cong
New Delhi: The Congress high command including Rahul Gandhi will decide the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the party, AICC said on Wednesday in the wake of suggestions from DMK that P Chidambaram was a potential PM nominee.
"There are several leaders in the party capable of becoming Prime Minister. But the decision will be taken by newly-elected MPs and the Congress high command," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Asked whether Rahul Gandhi could be the PM candidate in 2014 general elections, he said, "Rahul Gandhi is leader of Congress party, all of us and the nation. He is high command and we will contest the 2014 elections under Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul`s leadership."
The party has been parrying questions if it could project Finance Minister P Chidambaram as its Prime Ministerial candidate in the next Lok Sabha polls.
"When the time comes you will know who our PM candidate is...We are not in the habit of predicting or announcing our CM and PM candidates well before the issue arises," party spokespersons have been maintaining for last few days.
A British newsmagazine `The Economist` had also said earlier that Chidambaram could be the PM candidate, especially if it comes to a face off against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The magazine had said Chidambaram`s "growth-oriented" outlook can give the nation the much-needed push.
Chidambaram had yesterday sought to debunk questions on his future role, saying, "I know my limitations. And I live and conduct myself according to my limitations."
He had said this when asked to comment on DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s remarks that he was potential prime ministerial candidate.
On Monday, Karunanidhi had supported a suggestion by actor Kamal Hassan that the Finance Minister was a potential PM nominee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate