High command will decided on next PM candidate: Cong
New Delhi: The Congress high command including Rahul Gandhi will decide the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the party, AICC said on Wednesday in the wake of suggestions from DMK that P Chidambaram was a potential PM nominee.
"There are several leaders in the party capable of becoming Prime Minister. But the decision will be taken by newly-elected MPs and the Congress high command," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Asked whether Rahul Gandhi could be the PM candidate in 2014 general elections, he said, "Rahul Gandhi is leader of Congress party, all of us and the nation. He is high command and we will contest the 2014 elections under Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul`s leadership."
The party has been parrying questions if it could project Finance Minister P Chidambaram as its Prime Ministerial candidate in the next Lok Sabha polls.
"When the time comes you will know who our PM candidate is...We are not in the habit of predicting or announcing our CM and PM candidates well before the issue arises," party spokespersons have been maintaining for last few days.
A British newsmagazine `The Economist` had also said earlier that Chidambaram could be the PM candidate, especially if it comes to a face off against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The magazine had said Chidambaram`s "growth-oriented" outlook can give the nation the much-needed push.
Chidambaram had yesterday sought to debunk questions on his future role, saying, "I know my limitations. And I live and conduct myself according to my limitations."
He had said this when asked to comment on DMK chief M Karunanidhi`s remarks that he was potential prime ministerial candidate.
On Monday, Karunanidhi had supported a suggestion by actor Kamal Hassan that the Finance Minister was a potential PM nominee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane