High Commission in Islamabad ready to help Sarabjit
New Delhi: Amid claim by Sarabjit Singh, the death row convict in Pakistan, that there was threat to his life in jail, India on Friday said its High Commission in Islamabad stands ready to assist him should he require it.
Noting that India has consistently urged Pakistan on several occasions to take a sympathetic and a humanitarian view of Singh`s case, the official spokesperson in MEA said that the External Affairs Minister has assured Sarabjit`s family that he would raise it when he meets his counterpart, whenever and wherever that is.
"Singh has been in custody for well over two decades. With that background, let me say that what you mentioned in terms of the news reports, we have also seen them. Our High Commission in Islamabad stands ready to assist his lawyer should he require it. But at this stage my understanding is that the lawyer himself has requested the Pakistani authorities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?