High Commission in Islamabad ready to help Sarabjit
New Delhi: Amid claim by Sarabjit Singh, the death row convict in Pakistan, that there was threat to his life in jail, India on Friday said its High Commission in Islamabad stands ready to assist him should he require it.
Noting that India has consistently urged Pakistan on several occasions to take a sympathetic and a humanitarian view of Singh`s case, the official spokesperson in MEA said that the External Affairs Minister has assured Sarabjit`s family that he would raise it when he meets his counterpart, whenever and wherever that is.
"Singh has been in custody for well over two decades. With that background, let me say that what you mentioned in terms of the news reports, we have also seen them. Our High Commission in Islamabad stands ready to assist his lawyer should he require it. But at this stage my understanding is that the lawyer himself has requested the Pakistani authorities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district