High-speed trains for Delhi-Mumbai route
New Delhi: Going ahead with its ambitious
high-speed train proposal, Railways have joined hands with
Japan to begin the ground work to reduce travel time by half
on the Delhi-Mumbai corridor.
Railways will procure a new set of trains with electric
locomotives to run on the existing Delhi-Mumbai track.
"The pre-feasibility study for running train at a
maximum speed of 160-200 km per hour is being carried out by
Japan on the existing Delhi-Mumbai route and they (Japan) will
submit the report next month," said a senior Railway Ministry
official involved with the project named Golden Rail Corridor.
Currently, Mumbai Rajdhanis run at an average speed of
100 km per hour and take about 15 hours to reach the
"Our aim is to reduce the travel time by almost half
between Delhi-Mumbai and for this we have to procure train
sets to run at higher speed on the existing track," the
Train sets are like EMU trains consisting of
self-propelled electric locomotive and 10 to 12 modern
"Since our existing locomotives are not designed to run
on 200 km speed we have to go for the train set in the Golden
Rail Corridor," he said, adding "We have to strengthen the
track, bridges and modernise the signalling system before
increasing the speed to 200 km per hour."
There will be a new fare structure for the high-speed
train for the Golden Rail Corridor.
Asked how the existing track will take the load of new
trains, he said, "All the freight trains will be shifted from
Mumbai-Delhi route after the commissioning of the Western
Dedicated Freight Corridor. So, we will utilise the additional
capacity of the existing track for the train sets."
The Western DFC is likely to be commissioned by 2016-17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India